Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Protective Big Sister

Well, Helena loves her little sister, but all of the hospital stuff was a bit confusing and tiring for her--of course, it was for Anton & I! Helena came 3 or 4 times to visit us, and was with Anton today when he came to bring us home. Hospital rooms get boring for little girls, so Anton would take her on walks around the hospital, down to the cafe or gift shop. Every time she has come to visit, the baby has been in the room. Today, she evidently realized something was different: Anton brought the infant seat up to the room. Now, Helena does like to use the seat as a recliner, but we told her it was for the baby, and she seemed to understand pretty well--not that it stopped her from using it as a recliner!! I also told her that we were going to take the baby home, and she nodded.

So she and Anton went on one of their walks, and I was nursing Isabelle and waiting for them to come back when I heard a shrieking cry--my Helena. I was worried--perhaps she fell while running through the halls & hurt herself, or she could have been breaking away from Anton (she's not really good about staying with us on walks). But Anton burst into the room with a crying thrashing Helena in his arms, saying, "Look! There she is!! See? There's our baby!" It seems that as Helena was coming in the direction of my room, someone from the nursery was wheeling another baby--in the same bed with the same blankets--away to who-knew-where (as far as Helena was concerned). She had hysterics thinking that they were taking our baby. It took her a little while to calm down. Very sad. :( Poor little girl!! What a sensitive and protective big sister!!

4 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

That is so sweet.

Literacy-chic said...

You should have seen the tears streaming down her little cheeks!

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Aw, poor thing. I can so imagine Isabella doing this.

The other day my dad took her to the elementary playground a few blocks from our house during school hours after they'd been there for a while a teacher came out and said she was bringing out her class and they'd have to leave. Poor Bella screamed all the way home. She was sobbing so hard that even after I'd nursed her to sleep (she was also way overdue for a nap) she was still breathing those little gasping breaths.

Entropy said...

That is precious!