and where I was Baptized by, Confirmed by, and received First Communion from Bishop Gregory Aymond of the Diocese of Austin on October 31, 2004.
Isabelle was Baptized by Fr. Mike Sis, Vocations Director for the Diocese of Austin and former pastor of St. Mary's, from whom Phelan received First Communion in January of 2005,
and who performed the Convalidation Service for Anton & I on October 30, 2004, in the chapel of St. Mary's,
which is where Phelan Antoine duPlessis was Baptized on July 11, 2004, by Deacon David Reed, Isabelle's Godfather, who also Baptized Helena.
All who are accustomed to more ornate Catholic churches say that St. Mary's is plain, almost to the point of not seeming like a Catholic church. While I also admire ornate churches, having been exposed to beautiful church architecture and art in New Orleans as a child (and one of the things that first appealed to me about the Catholic Church was the beauty of its churches), I admire the elegant simplicity of St. Mary's, particularly the way the natural light plays off of the white interior (I know--no stained glass). I assume that the "St. Mary's isn't Catholic enough" comment would have been less common when the communion rails were still up!!
(Apparently, she did something in this moment to delight or amuse Anton and I!)
Standing near us are her godparents, of whom Mary Bailey is visible in this picture.
Deacon David is visible in this picture as a participant, rather than presiding over the rite, as with Phelan and Helena!

Deacon David lights the Baptismal candle for Isabelle from the Easter candle.
"Isabelle, receive the Light of Christ. . ."



There was some discussion before the Baptism from numerous quarters about whether or not the chrism would "tame" the baby mohawk. . . Apparently not--to the amusement of many! When Fr. Mike showed his amusement, it gave everyone else carte blanche to release their stifled chuckles and giggles!Fr. Mike holds Isabelle after the group picture. . .
. . .and it looks like he is enjoying the fragrance of chrism, which he applied liberally!
With Fr. Mike, one has a true sense of his enjoyment of the Sacraments--not merely his reverence, which is profound, but the joy he finds in the Sacrament, in each and every sensory detail that combines to give us the fullness of the rite. He reminds us that it is in the tangible signs that we experience the spiritual gifts, and invites us to touch, taste, breathe, and know. It is a blessing to know such a priest!
Here, we have a few final words. . .
. . . before rejoining family and going home to continue the celebration!Here, Helena waits with Danielle, my sister, after being a very, very good (though perhaps a bit puzzled) girl!
Thank you to everyone who was able to celebrate with us, and to those who kept us in their thoughts & prayers that weekend! Thank you also to Mary's husband Don, who took these lovely pictures since I forgot to charge the batteries in the camera!
2 comments:
Great pictures! I love Isabelle's hair, it continues to be the best baby mohawk i've ever seen.
I like seeing the photos of your reception into the church and all the family milestones.
We're still trying to work out the details of Sophia's baptism. Including who to ask to be god parents. We had Isabella's planned even before she was born. Poor Sophie is such a second child.
Yes, the pictures are beautiful! What a blessing to welcome beautiful Isabelle into the family of faith.
And, thanks for the invitation to join your family blog. I feel very honored and touched.
Post a Comment