Thursday, October 25, 2007

Two Stories: Portraits of a Budding Personality

Acting Casual. . .

Yesterday morning, Helena has was a bundle of mischief. TWICE she overturned a small set of Sterilite blue plastic drawers containing older Nintendo accessories (that is, pre-Game Cube) to get something the identity of which only she knew. She literally hopped from one thing to another, mostly innocent (luckily), making the living room more of a mess than it was already, and pausing to ask for "nilk" and "nanas" (that is, "milk" and "bananas").

At one point, I looked over to my sewing machine, which sits on a desk in the living room, currently with no chair (chairs are moved from room to room depending on need--eating, cello practice, sewing) and she had pushed a file box of papers & various extraneous items closer to the front of the desk. She was standing on the box, facing the sewing machine, investigating the place where the bobbin is filled. So I said questioningly, but not very sternly, "Helena, what are you doing?" And she immediately turned around and rolled her eyes up, pursing her lips and looking very non-chalant. Then she turned to look at me with wide eyes, pulled up her shirt and showed me her belly button, and said what is currently her combination of sounds that means "belly button," though it sounds like "bucky" or something similar, nodding her head and clearly waiting for my acknowledgment! I love her diversionary tactics!!

Don't Ignore the Toddler

Helena's favorite thing to do when I am working on the computer (or wasting--*ahem* spending--time checking email & blogs) is to grab me by the hand and pull me, usually over various pieces of furniture, across the house to assist her with some task, usually one involving food (the aforesaid "nanas" and "nilk," sometimes "rink").

Today, I was actually working on an assignment that my students will be completing on Calvino's Invisible Cities while I am away from class caring for a littler one. I was trying to type, holding the book in one hand so that I could read the "categories" of cities, when Helena comes up to pull me away, like usual, but I'm not budging. She fusses a little (not a crying fuss, mind you, but an annoyed imitating Momma fussing). She pulls. Then, she has an idea: she takes the book from me (when I'm busy typing), brings it around the coffee table, then goes to the bookshelf, clearly trying to figure out where to put it. She looks at the shelf, then at my black file box of class supplies, finally deciding that the floor of the entry is the best place for it. She looks up with the same wide-eyed expression and earnestly says a little babbling sentence ending with an emphatic "book." I said, "Yes, you took my book." She repeats the sentence with a nod and another emphatic, "book." She then comes over to me, takes my grading pen, and talks to me about the letters on the pen (I believe I detected "A, B, A, B"), reveling in the fact that she now has my complete & undivided attention, having taken the offending item.

6 comments:

Sarah Reinhard said...

"Wasting time checking email & blogs" - I BEG YOUR PARDON! :) (LOL)

Some of the best material to write/blog about comes from toddlers, dontcha think?

Literacy-chic said...

;) Okay, perhaps "spending time in an unauthorized manner"?--these days, anything that feels like it's not domestic or academic seems illicit!

I email a lot of these stories to my husband during the day, and I've been grateful for that because it's the only way I keep track of them! A "baby book" just doesn't work for me somehow, but this does! :)

Sarah Reinhard said...

My blog is a form of baby book too. And I find it inspires me to do other writing (the "productive" kind) and it also keeps my husband involved with some of the funny stories and antics that come with kids...

I think "unauthorized" is, well, probably more accurate. I know the feeling. But then, as a friend of mine pointed out the other day, I have a tendency to refuse to sacrifice my sanity time (which is largely in the "unauthorized" category) for things that are more "authorized" (housework being the most glaring example in my recent life, catching up on some work projects being the other...)

Literacy-chic said...

housework being the most glaring example in my recent life

Yeah, I know what you mean. Except that it was kind of in bad faith that I even alluded to housework, considering I don't do much in that arena anyway! :P

Melanie Bettinelli said...

When I'm spending too much time at the computer I generally find a book plopped on the keyboard or smacking me in the (ever-increasing) belly. They do have their ways of getting attention don't they.

I definitely use my blog as a baby book. I'd love to find software somewhere that would let me easily edit entries and pictures into a baby album I could have printed and keep for posterity. I have terrors that somehow the blog will crash and I will lose all of the great stuff I've written.

Sarah Reinhard said...

Melanie, there's a way to back up your blog. Check here.

(Gotta love this "send follow-up comments" option they just added...)

OK, enough from me...