Thursday, July 20, 2017

Summer Activities

From July 2013

So I wanted the girls and Phelan to write up a little something for the blog, but I don't know that Phelan's entirely comfortable with the medium, and the girls have been otherwise occupied, so I will condense some of the things that they were going to post about here, and try again with some fresh events and inspiration!

 So the first thing I want to share is Helena's "Egg Protector" from Elementary Enrichment Summer School. Both girls attended the program, which was at College Hills this year.  This was particularly special, since Helena will be in 2nd grade at College Hills and Isabelle will be entering Kindergarten this coming fall, in the Dual Language program!  Isabelle was particularly happy, I think, to be in the new, more advanced environment.  She did see a couple of her "old friends" while meeting lots of new ones as well.  Helena's classes were "It's a Mystery" (2 hours), "Rainforest" (1 hour), and "Creative Crafts with a Twist" (1 hour).  Isabelle's classes were 1 hour each, and were "Exploring Art" (Helena did that one last year), Dance, "Dinotopia," and "Creative Crafts with a Twist."  I have many things that they made decorating my office, which is just wonderful.  Helena's egg protector was part of the "It's a Mystery" class, the final week of which was devoted both to recycling and experiments.  The idea was to create a container that would keep an egg from breaking when dropped.  The plastic container was stuffed with paper towels to create an egg cushion.  The agreement was that I could throw it away if I took a picture!

And here it is, four years later, and I realize that I remembered blog posts that weren't on the blog--because they were never finished, and were still drafts!

The pictures below (and in the Our Nature Walk post) show a Kiwi Crate from the First Summer of Kiwi Crates, when the girls stayed home with Phelan (we called it "Camp Phelan"!) and he supervised crafts.  For the first one, the girls decorated these boxes and we went on a little "nature walk" around the park by our apartment when I came home for lunch. The girls found objects for each of the colored squares in the box!







No comments: